[BRLTTY] We could change the banner

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Dec 30 12:38:26 EST 2014

[quoted lines by Stéphane Doyon on 2014/12/30 at 12:26 -0500]

>>what do you (and others) think about just switching to more general
>>terminology? We could change "wheel" to "nav", and "GDF" to "selector". So,
>>that'd give us names like LeftNavUp, LeftNavPress, and LeftSelector. We could
>>then place notes at the top explaining that the nav keys could be wheels or
>>rockers, and that the Selector keys used to be known as GDF keys. Would that be
>>enough to resolve the confusion that clearly currently does exist?
>
>Sounds fine to me. GDF wasn't a very good name anyway.

My suggested wording, which would be added as key table notes and which would
show up at the top of the key binding listing, is:

   There are two Nav keys - one at each side of the top.
   * Each has three actions: Up, Down, and Press.
   * On some models, a Nav key is a wheel which can be both rolled and pressed.
   * On others, it's an up/down rocker along with a pressable button.
   On older models, the Selector keys are known as GDF (General Display Function) keys.