[BRLTTY] We could change the banner

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Dec 31 18:30:57 EST 2014

[quoted lines by Stéphane Doyon on 2014/12/31 at 18:04 -0500]

>This of course is a tad confusing when the "key" is in fact two keys,
>on the newer models: called nav rocker and mode button. I'd assume
>the recent layout and have a note that mentions that on older models,
>the nav rocker and mode button are combined into a wheel that goes
>up/down and can also be pressed.

The way they seem to be changing things around, I'm a bit reluctant to be too
specific.

>If you'd rather stick with the current approach, which I could understand
>given the current bindings implementation structure, I'd suggest wording like
>"There are two Nav controls" rather than "keys".

This is what I'll do.

>Suggest: with a *separate* pressable button.

Shall do.

>For added context, you might say that the front edge extremity
>buttons are called Selector, and that in the older model
>documentation they were called GDF.

Shall do.

>It may not be obvious that the Advance buttons are the square buttons
>on the front edge.

Are the Advance keys just inside the rockers, just outside the shfit keys,
spaced somewhat away from both, or what?

>Ideally the header of the file would acknowledge and name all the keys... I
>don't suppose we could copy the official description, which is too long
>anyway,

Yes, it's way too long.

>so we might just say that the front edge has the Selector keys at each
>end, and then working towards the middle, the rockers, then the Advance keys,
>and in the middle, the left and right shift keys.

I think it's more complex than that because some models also have what are
called bumper keys.

>It's also a lot of mental arithmetic to figure out that line up/down
>can be done with either the nav or (100 lines later) the rocker keys.
>Sorting the entries would definitely help.

Yes, I do plan to be looking into doing this. My current thought is to group
the commands by general functionality, for the primary sort field to be this
general functionality, and for the secondary sort field to be the key table
ordering.