[BRLTTY] possible problem or bug with 5.0

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Mar 6 05:36:15 EST 2014

[quoted lines by covici at ccs.covici.com on 2014/03/05 at 23:45 -0500]

>I did a hexdump of the file to get the character.  What is in my file
>wit the section sign is actually a7c2 -- all characters seem to be two
>bytes.

a7c2 (which really should be read c2a7 since Intel/AMD processors are little
endian) is UTF-8 for 00A7, so what you have are section signs encoded in UTF-8.

>I do have unicode=yes in my /etc/rc.conf, so it is supported for
>keyboards and screens.

So now we need to understand the next step. How are you transferring what's in
your file to the screen, and what's telling you that what's on your screen,
after you do that, are 8bc3 characters?

>But I have had this all along and its something different about brltty
>between 4.5 and 5.0 which I am wondering about.

I understand, and I'm not ultimately doubting you, but I also make absolutely
no assumptions when trying to understand a problem.