[BRLTTY] brltty speech

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Mar 30 16:53:56 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by Henk Abma on 2014/03/30 at 20:19 +0200]

>as far as I can tell, firefox appears to talk to talkback and
>brailleback sort of uses the same information. When I disable
>talkback, brltty only shows the last focussed item in firefox. As
>soon as I load a new page, brltty informs me that a geckoview had
>opened and if the page is loaded, however I cannot navigate the
>contents of the page. As soon as I aneble talkback and tap places on
>the screen, brltty echoes the spoken output. Using gestures on screen
>I can navigate to next->previous link etc, however I cannot do this
>using brltty.

That makes sense. At present, brltty doesn't respond to the gestures. That's so
that it won't interfere with TalkBack's Explore by Touch feature. It's too bad,
in my opinion, that Explore by Touch is a TalkBack feature rather than a
standalone feature in its own right. Do you think it'd be useful for brltty to
support gestures if (and only if) TalkBack isn't running, or, I suppose, even
if it is, if its Explore by Touch feature is off?

>I had no luck using brltty speech either. I can choose between none
>and native, however no further options appear. The only thing brltty
>has said to me so far is it's versionnumber.

The rest of the options are in brltty's preferences menu. Go into the
preferences menu, find the speech options submenu, and open it. That's where
you'll find the various options you're looking for. At the very least, you'll
need to turn on Autospeak.