[BRLTTY] punctuation level

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Fri May 2 14:28:16 EDT 2014

Hello,

Dave Mielke schrieb am 29.04.2014, 15:01 -0400:
>[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2014/04/29 at 19:08 +0200]
>>I think just one which cycles through all available commands is fine.
>
>Right now, when there are only two choices, our toggle commands play an on tune
>or an off tune for confirmation. How should confirmation of selection work when
>there are more choices than just two?
Good question, disabling the tones is the first thing I configure :). Either you
have a frequency range which you partition into intervals depending on the
number of choices, or you just have _one_ tone which just indicates that the
setting has changed.

>>It would be very handy if BRLTTY would support selecting configurations using
>>keys. This would allow me to not restart BRLTTY each time I want to listen a
>>text in a different language. Would that be possible?
>
>Yes, it would be possible, but we should think about how best to design it.
>
>The easiest way would be to internally restart brltty after selecting the
>configuration file. This, of course, would also mean that the braille driver
>would restart. Is that acceptable, or should the code be reworked to allow
>reloading a subset of the configuration settings and then only restarting the
>bare minimum (which, in your case, would be just the speech driver)?
Nearly all screen readers I know seem to restart internally, braille and speech
are both, with some delay, reloaded.
I would be fine with that solution.

>something else to consider is the fact that, currently, command line options
>override configuration file settings. What if the selected configuration file
>has settings which are overridden by command line options? In that case, which
>should take effect?
If you chose to select another profile, you chose to load other settings, so
overwriting the command line arguments is fine. However I am not sure whether
one should keep those settings when switching back the profile to "default". I
don't use command line options, but if saving those wouldn't be too hard, I
would like to have it this way.

>How should configuration file selection be performed? Would you want to go into
>the preferences menu, find the right setting, and select it? Another approach
>would be to implement a key combination which would be used in conjunction with
>a routing key, where each routing key would select a different configuration
>file. Maybe there are more alternatives which I haven't thought of.
The routing key scenario seems a bit unhandy. I remember that I once tried SBL;
they had four profiles with each profile having a predefined key combination.
You could select one profile directly or go sequentially through them.

You could also add a kind of section to the configuration file. Consider the
following

[defailt]
# options like usual
[my_personal_newly_defined_profile
# options like usual, but different

Then you could select the profile in the preferences menu using the name, and
could bind a key command to toggle through the profiles in the order there were
defined (or assign a command to a profile using the name). But I am not sure
whether this is worth implementing it. Maybe someone else has also an idea.

Thanks
Sebastian
--
Web: http://www.crustulus.de | Blog: http://www.crustulus.de/cgi-bin/blog.cgi?de-0