[BRLTTY] brltty, orca and gdm not playing nicely

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun May 25 15:21:47 EDT 2014

covici at ccs.covici.com, le Sun 25 May 2014 14:01:29 -0400, a écrit :
> I did try that, and  the orca portion of brltty keeps wanting to use
> tty7, even though the gdm is on a different terminal (12 in my case).  I
> think this has something to do with brlapi, although I am not sure
> what.  I don't see tty7 anywhere in the brltty source, so what makes it
> go there, I am not sure.

tty7 is not hardcoded in brltty indeed.  Orca hardcodes it, but only
if autoconfiguration fails.

It happens that gdm3 seems to have completely dropped the support for
the WINDOWPATH variable, how nice...  I'll discuss with Gnome people.

One thing you can do to circumvent the issue is changing the default
inside orca, in orca/braille.py, change tty=7 to tty=12.

Samuel