[BRLTTY] Newbie questions to help me make a Slint installer blind friendly.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Nov 20 10:38:31 EST 2014

[quoted lines by Didier Spaier on 2014/11/17 at 12:36 +0100]

>So the aim is to allow a blind user to install Slackware without the help
>of a sighted person, using brltty.

Excellent!

>1. Can brltty be used with the "dialog" program?

Yes. One thing to be aware of is that the best way to ensure that the braille
device is rendering the desired line is to use the necessary option(s) to
ensure that the cursor is on that line. This is because brltty can track the
cursor location, but can't yet track attribute-based highlighting. If possible,
the cursor should be on the most important character of that line because many
braille devices are small - in other words, they only render part of the line
at a time.

>2. Can brltty be used in a framebuffer?

I should know the ansswer to this question, but I don't. No one is reporting
any problems with this, so maybe it can. Could you please tell me how to know
if I myself am using a frame buffer console or not? And, of course, if it turns
out that I'm not, then how do I use one in order to test it?

>3. Does the usage of a true type font for visual display has consequences
>   regarding brltty?

No. Brltty does not do optical character recognitioin. What it does is figure
out the Unicode character that was used to render a given character on the
screen.

>4. Can brltty be used with in an UTF8 context? Under what conditions and
>   with which limitations?

Yes. It honours the configured locale of the system. If the locale includes the
.UTF-8 part then it'll work.