[BRLTTY] Minimum stuff needed to play a sound in an installer.

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun Nov 30 19:24:31 EST 2014

Hello,

Didier Spaier, le Fri 28 Nov 2014 18:11:42 +0100, a écrit :
> Then, what would be the bare minimum stuff to ship
> in the installer to just play a sound, knowing that it
> has absolutely no sound support at the moment (no
> kernel module for sound, no userspace application)?

You then need:

- kernel modules for sound,
- the ALSA init script which automatically unmutes boards,
- a userspace application that beeps through ALSA.  I don't know one
off-hand, but it shouldn't be hard to implement.

Ideally we'd have a kernel module which behaves like the pc speaker
driver and uses the sound board to emit sound, but I haven't found one.
That could however also be implemented in userland, as a daemon which
uses uinput to get the beep events, and uses the sound card to beep the.

Samuel