[BRLTTY] Compiling a statically linked binary

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Oct 30 23:41:48 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by S. Massy on 2014/10/30 at 14:37 -0400]

>A further observation on compiling and using a statically linked binary
>of BRLTTY is that keybindings default tables no longer seem to be built
>into the driver(s).

The key tables never were built in. The bindings were only ever (for some
drivers they still are) built in when hard-coded.

>Hence, one can't just copy the binary and run ./brltty. I've found it most
>expedient to copy the whole data directory and specify its location via the
>"-T" switch. It might be a good idea to have a configure option to include a
>default binding table in the same way it can be done with text and attributes
>tables.

Yes, this is a weakness. I've wondered about this very issue myself from time
to time. So far, I usually end up concluding that it's probably better and
simpler to put a full brltty installation on a USB stick which can then be
plugged into any system as needed.