[BRLTTY] Toggling Braille Keyboard

Stéphane Doyon s.doyon at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 31 21:25:15 EDT 2014

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by S. Massy on 2014/10/31 at 14:53 -0400]
>
>> BRLTTY does not appear to offer a menu or key binding option for quickly
>> disabling braille input. Could this be considered for a future release?
>> Such option would come in handy when using a QWERTY keyboard along with
>> a display sporting a braille keyboard like the Brailliant BI.
>
> Should the braille keyboard simply go dead if toggled off?

I too have had to disable the keyboard on my display. One often hits a key
by mistake. It seems a pity though to have all these nice keys right in
the middle of everything and not use them at all...

One could imagine making alternative key bindings for this use case,
although I must admit nothing specific comes to mind and the display has
enough other buttons.

One alternative I would suggest to try: continue accepting chorded
commands from the Braille keyboard. These chorded bindings are established
already, and they might be useful for toggling some more esoteric settings
not bound to other buttons. Although one tends to hit one or two braille
keys by mistake, it seems pretty unlikely that one would type in a chord
by mistake. So character input would be disabled, especially special dots,
but some set of chords could optionally be retained.