[BRLTTY] brltty on the Mac: was: cfg-darwin and esys-40

Cheryl Homiak cah4110 at icloud.com
Mon Sep 1 10:56:53 EDT 2014

> On Sep 1, 2014, at 5:00 AM, Bram Duvigneau <bram at bramd.nl> wrote:

>> I use it in my profile to automagiccally start Brltty when opening a shell.

If you are using this line to handle voiceover on a Mac, don't you want it to start brltty when you start screen? Are you also doing that in your profile? I did have a setup so that terminal started at login and then screen started at login and then brltty, but that doesn't work too well (1) if you don't use automatic login and (2) if you have a display that voiceover grabs, so your suggested line might be useful here. What would really be nice would be if there was some way to have brltty release when it goes out of screen or at least when it goes out of terminal, but that probably is complicated by the fact that brltty has to run in screen rather than in terminal at large and possibly other factors that I don't understand. I really have no desire to use voiceover braille in terminal and don't really need voiceover speech in terminal either as long as brltty and my display are working, but since there is no way to run brltty globally on the Mac in all applications I still do need voiceover everywhere except in terminal. I'd love to be able to use brltty instead of voiceover braille on the Mac as a whole and I'd try to fit working on such a project into my already-overflowing schedule (which I'm sure everybody here has too!) but while I'm usually able to do testing, I'm afraid I don't know enough to actually be of help in working on development.