[BRLTTY] screen differentiation

Cheryl Homiak cah4110 at icloud.com
Tue Sep 2 14:08:54 EDT 2014

I know what I am going to ask is probably a bit offtopic but I am posting it here because there are likely to be users of the Mac who also use screen if running brltty and because brltty users will understand why this issue would be important to me.

After all these years of suffering with a prompt when going into screen on the Mac that just said bash-3.2$ even though the main prompt on the Mac gave more, I finally realized that all I had to do was uncomment the "shell" line in the .screenrc. Then I also modified the PS1 variable via .profile and made my prompt exactly what I wanted in both Mac shell and in screen. But now I have a problem. At least with the annoying prompt when I went into screen before, I always knew whether I was in screen. When running brltty it's important to know this, especially if one for some reason also runs a window in Terminal that is not within screen, but really it's important to know this anyway. I can't find a way to put something either in my .profile or .screenrc that will allow me to tell immediately on pressing enter whether or not I am in screen at any given point. Doing anything with $PS1 effects both the normal shell and screen. Is there a way to maybe append the shell line in .screenrc so that it shows that I am in screen in addition to the normal prompt? Replies to this, onlist or off, would be greatly appreciated if anybody has an answer or suggestion.

Thanks much.

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: