[BRLTTY] Language profiles.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Sep 28 19:15:22 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by MENGUAL Jean-Philippe on 2014/09/29 at 00:42 +0200]

>If I understand, the profile is not deduced from the current
>settings. It needs to be created manually through a conf file.

Yes, that's correct.

>Shouldn't brltty set some default profiles for officially supported
>languages (en, fr, de)?

In theory, yes. The problem is that it'd be difficult since there are too many
variables. We'd have no idea, for example, which speech synthesizer the user
wants to use, and how he'd want to have it configured. Also, we can't know
whether he wants to still use his native text table or one of the possibly
multiple text tables for the selected language. We also don't know which
locales are installed on his system. These settings really are fairly
user-specific even though the concept is general. Perhaps, through use, how to
generalize it will become evident, but I don't think we know how to do so yet.