[BRLTTY] Starting Brltty Automatically on a custom system

Rob captinlogic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 12:08:02 EDT 2015

This weekend I built a Linux from Scratch (LFS) system. I installed Brltty into it and tried to copy the debian init script. That didn't work, however. Install_initd complained:
"no script provides mountkernfs"
What is that, anyway?
Next I tried running it through inittab, as per the Brltty manual. It didn't like my USB display when I did that. I got a whole slew of errors about an uinput kernel module not being installed and some other stuff I can't recall right this minute. My serial display worked fine, but I want to use the Alva Satellite on that particular box.
What other suggestions are there for getting brltty to start automatically on a custom system?