[BRLTTY] brltty5.2 alpine2.11 cursor tracking

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Sep 14 15:09:45 EDT 2015

[quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2015/09/14 at 21:56 +0300]

>So, here are the new results. Now I tested with emacs with up to four windows
>all updating the mode line continuously. I also tested with elinks which also
>has a "clock on status line" feature.
>
>Values 0 and 1 are too small - there is lots of screen flicker. I could not
>notice any difference between values 2 and 3. Even emacs with four windows
>displaying a clock on their mode lines works, even through ssh.

Okay, thanks. Just to be sure, I'll set it to 5. Do you think that's
reasonable?

>I also tried values 5, 10, 20, 40 and 100, but could not get top to behave
>well.

How did they behave poorly?

>However, I have a feature request:
>
>Could you please split SCREEN_UPDATE_SCHEDULE_DELAY to two options:
>1. INITIAL_SCREEN_UPDATE_DELAY: this amount of time would be delayed, when the
>screen update occurs and it has not been preceded by a previous update. This
>would prevent BRLTTY's cursor tracking to be triggered too early. After
>INITIAL_SCREEN_UPDATE_DELAY has passed, braille screen is normally updated.
>2. CONTINUOUS_SCREEN_UPDATE_DELAY: If after a previous update a new update
>appears, it is delayed for CONTINUOUS_SCREEN_UPDATE_DELAY ms, which could be
>set to a higher value than INITIAL_SCREEN_UPDATE_DELAY. This would be useful,
>because:
>- this could be used to prevent programs (like autoconf-configure) from
>flooding the braille display with updates which the user cannot read
>anyways, because they fly past so quickly,
>- lowering the update rate causes less power to be consumed and thus displays
>with a battery can be used for a longer period without being charged,
>- refreshing the display less often probably increases its lifetime as the
>cells wear out slower.

The other value is already there, and parameterized as UPDATE_SCHEDULE_DELAY.
It should be renamed now, given the new parameter. It's current value is 15.