[BRLTTY] Teaching English grammar on this list.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Sep 15 09:59:01 EDT 2015

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2015/09/15 at 09:39 -0400]

>Note that "it's" means "it is", just like "he's."
>
>"Its" means "belonging to it," just like "his."

While you are, of course, entirely correct, this list isn't the right place to
teach English grammar. We serve users throughout the whole world, many of whom
may not have all that strong a command of the English language. It's our duty
to understand what they're asking/saying, even if it isn't stated perfectly,
and then to simply respond in as helpful a manner as possible with respect to
their issue(s). Now, of course, one can always indirectly teach English grammar
by responding with perfect English grammar that includes examples of what we
may feel to be helpful corrections.