[BRLTTY] I found it

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Sep 17 10:31:22 EDT 2015

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2015/09/17 at 08:35 -0400]

>These are both wrong.

Okay. Use of a word like "both" had me focused on two of the same thing, and
I'd been primarily directed at the word "it's" (which did occur twice).

>>>* There are four ETouch keys, two at each end of the text cell are.
>
>The last word is "are" whereas the intended word was "area." The keys
>are at each end of the text cell area, not the text cell are.

Yes, that was wrong, and has now also now been fixed. This really does
highlight the need for concise bug reports. After all, if I missed it when I
wrote it, there's no guarantee that I'll then spot it without a very direct
reference.

May I suggest that, for each case, a simple quoting of the line accompanied by
an explanatory commment statingh, for example, that "are" should be "area",
would be the right way to report such things. The error, after all, was a typo
- not a grammatical infraction. Now one of those typos resulted in a
grammatical infraction, but why not stick with what the real problem was. Let's
say you point out that the second "it's" should be "its" and I argue with you
about it, that'd be the time to accuse me of having a poor grasp of English
grammar.

Now let's say that you were trying to be generally informative for those who
may not know English very well. Then, after pointing out the typo, you could've
followed with a paragraph that began something like "For those who don't know
English that well, here's why this correction is important".

For your information, and to officially publicly expose my ability to type
incorrectly (especially when in a hurry): I find that I often type based on
pronunciation. One of my favourite personal typos is that I've caught myself
typing "our" as "are". After thinking about this one, I've realized that
pronouncing "our" as 'are" just happens to be a very common way of sloppy
speaking.

I also do suffer from a bit of lack of coordination at times, which primarily
shows up as me typing two letters in the wrong order when they're typed with
different hands. Also, I sometimes don't get the center of the key which
results in an adjacent key occasionally getting inserted. also, these days, I'm
working with a right arm that has inflamed tendons above its elbow. So, yes,
I'm not perfect. Perhaps others are, but certainly not myself. I do double
check what I type, but even that's no guarantee that I'll catch all my errors.