[BRLTTY] brltty new user

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jul 2 14:28:31 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Storm Dragon on 2016/07/02 at 08:54 -0400]

>Oh, I must be misunderstanding what autoread is supposed to do.

I assume you mean autospeak. What brltty's autospeak feature does is to speak
changes to the current line. It has various subsettings so that you can
optionally have different types of changes spoien, e.g. typed characters,
deleted characters, replaced characters, selected characters, etc.

>I wonder if y'all would consider adding a setting to read text as it comes in?
>It would make mudding and some other tasks a lot easier.

This is probably somethnig that Speakup does. Since it's within the kernel, it
can easily hook into the place where characters are written to the screen.
Brltty can't do that quite so easily because it runs outside the kernel and can
only inspect what's currently on the screen.

As far as I can recall, you're the first user who's asking for this feature.
I'm wondering, therefore, out of ignorance and curiosity more than anything
else, how it'd make a task easier as it could mean a lot of extra speaking. The
way we'd tackle it from a braille perspective would be to use the brltty
command that goes back to the previous command prompt, and then to start
reading forward from there.