[BRLTTY] Using BRLTTY with NVDA

Mike Keithley mlkeithley at comcast.net
Wed Jul 6 22:04:23 EDT 2016

Hello list,

I'm using NVDA, and I want to use my PowerBraille 40 on  com1. To do this, I need to install BRLTTY for Windows because NVDA doesn't  support the PowerBraille directly. I'm using the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

I've downloaded the installer for BRLTTY 5.4 (brltty-win-5.4-libusb1.0.exe). I haven't actually installed the software on my system yet.

The documentation I found for BRLTTY in Windows talks about building the Windows port but doesn't go into actually using it in the system, particularly how to be sure it's running and that NVDA will know it's there. I assume the Windows version of brltty is the actual Windows executable, not the source tree.

So how do I proceed?

Thank you.