[BRLTTY] Trouble installing the latest version

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Jul 17 20:11:43 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Amanda Lacy on 2016/07/17 at 17:25 -0500]

>The patch seemed to work and brltty seems to be installed,

Good. Two things:

I think the make file problem wasn't caught till now because most people do
"make" and "make install" as two separate steps. You were just doing "make
install", i.e. all in one step, which is fine and should work. I'm glad this
was finally found and is now fixed.

The best way to get the up-to-date set of configure options is to ask configure
itself. You can do that with the command:

   ./configure --help

>but the display now doesn't work at all. How can I find out why?

we'll need to see a debug log. To create one, update your brltty.conf to
contain these two lines:

   log-file /path/to/logfile
   log-level debug,inpkts,outpkts,brldrv,usb

I've assumed usb, here. Replace it with Bluetooth or serial as appropriate.