[BRLTTY] Yet another way to break brltty

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jul 18 17:14:51 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Amanda Lacy on 2016/07/18 at 15:28 -0500]

>Or at least make it unusable.

No, brltty isn't breakable or unusable as you're assuming and seem to be
experiencing. I'm suspecting that, in some way, you haven't built or installed
it correctly. We'll figure it out.

By the way: I'm using your experiences as idea generators to make things easier
for those who may not be doing things in the expected way. For example, I've
started to put together a set of systemd device allow rules so that brltty can
eventually be run non-root. It'd still assume systemd service management,
though, as opposed to direct invocation.

>The Braille presentation menu use to have the options 6-dot computer Braille,
>8-dot computer Braille and contracted.

And it still does. I just checked to be absolutely sure.

>The third option now shows nothing but full cells (all 8 dots) instead of
>contracted.

This must mean that your contraction table hasn't been correctly installed.
Perhaps all of your tables haven't been correctly installed. Either that, or
your contraction table definition is an absolute path to the wrong place.

Okay. I just looked in the huge log you sent earlier. You've specified the
latex-access contraction table, and it's seeing it as a regular, rather than as
an executable, table. Please check that it's executable.

>I selected this option to see what would happen. Now my display shows nothing
>but all 8 dots, for everything, forever. I can see the "Preferences menu"
>message but beyond that everything is dotted out. What is this feature for?

Of course it's not a feature.

I've just checked a little further. Even though the latex-access contraction
table is executable within the repository, it's not being installed such that
it's executable. I'll look into fixing this. Meanwhile, please make your copy
executable by doing:

   chmod a+rx /etc/brltty/Contraction/latex-access.ctb

latex-access is the only executable contraction table that we have, and you
happen to be the first person who's had this problem. We'll fix it.