[BRLTTY] first steps with braille in the console

Devin Prater r.d.t.prater at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:56:02 EDT 2016

Hi all. I’ve recently gotten Talking Arch up and running, installed Arch, and got my Vario Ultra 20 to work with BRLTTY 5.3. So now, are there any beginner guides to using console applications, especially those on Arch? Does anyone use the console with braille for daily use, like writing, reading books and documents, surfing the web, using email with iMap accounts, things like that? I don’t need too much, I’m okay at exploring things once pointed in the right direction. I’ve also tried BRLTTY with tintin++, a program I knew was installed via Storm’s alteration scripts and such, but I could not use the “return to last position” command, “press” on my display, to read the output after entering a command. Any reason for this, or does another MUD client work better for this kind of thing? Also, are there messaging clients for the console, or just IRC ones? I’d like to use Facebook chat, but the XMPP implementation doesn’t work for my account any longer. So, any pointers or advice is welcome.
Sent from my Mac.

Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater at gmail.com