[BRLTTY] first steps with braille in the console

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Jun 6 20:43:13 EDT 2016

Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone use the console with braille for daily use, like writing,
> reading books and documents, surfing the web, using email with iMap
> accounts, things like that?

Yes, I do.

I'm comfortable with both the Emacs and Vim text editors, though I use Emacs
for serious work. I use Pandoc for generating documents from Markdown files
that I write. I've also used LaTeX in the past and prefer it, but Pandoc is
better if you need to convert your documents to various formats such as HTML,
PDF, word processor formats, etc.

For mail, I use Mutt - I'm using it to write this message.

Web browsing is best done with Firefox - not a console application, but it's
easy to start up a graphical desktop just for Web access and for whatever
other purposes are best served by it, for example running LibreOffice if you
need it. For simple Web browsing tasks, you can run Ly nx, Elinks, W3M etc.
from the console.

I recommend reading William E. Shotts, Jr., The Linux Command Line, a book
which you can obtain in PDF format here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxcommand/files/TLCL/13.07/TLCL-13.07.pdf/download

You should be able to convert it to text and read it easily enough.

I need to deal with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Exchange in my work
environment, which are most accessible under Microsoft Windows; but I also use
a lot of Linux/UNIX tools at work, and it's the Linux laptop that I turn to
most often when I'm at home.