[BRLTTY] A Raspberry Pi Zero in a Handy Tech Active Star 40

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Jun 13 09:03:53 EDT 2016

Jason White <jason at jasonjgw.net> writes:

> Cheryl Homiak <cah4110 at icloud.com> wrote:
>> That is really neat!
>
> Indeed it is. It's probably more capable than some of the braille note taking
> devices available commercially, especially the braille displays that serve
> secondarily as text editors/note takers.

It contains a full-fledged Linux.  I wouldn't try to run GNOME on it,
but as long as you stay on the console, you can probably almost run
anything you want.  I just had a (working) USB Audio card connected to the rpi
and to the internal 3.5mm audio jack of the Active Star and was
able to play MP3 and FLAC files with about 15% CPU load by mpv.  So
even audio should be feasable.  It should also be able to
run espeak or similar.

It is running "apt dist-upgrade" right now, btw, just to emphasis that
it is really a full-fledged Linux (Raspbian, Debian based)
distribution.  It runs a 4.4 kernel.  After a bit of tinkering, it now
seems to boot in about 23 seconds, which is acceptable I think.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕