[BRLTTY] trouble with orca and braille

Simon Eigeldinger simon.eigeldinger at vol.at
Sat Jun 18 19:57:10 EDT 2016

Hi all,

Just tried to use braille with my sonar mate installation.
seems with a braille display you might not have much luck on the desktop.
brltty recognizes my display showing the message "screen not in text
mode". even with braille activated in orca.
anyone has experience with orca and braille?

Here's the orca debug message:

Could not initialize BrlTTY:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/orca/braille.py", line 1711,
in init
     _brlAPI = brlapi.Connection()
   File "brlapi.pyx", line 302, in brlapi.Connection.__init__
(brlapi.auto.c:4804)
brlapi.ConnectionError: couldn't connect to b':0' with key
b'/etc/brlapi.key': b'Authentication failed'
(brlerrno 17, libcerrno 13, gaierrno 0)
Authentication failed. Please check you can read b'/etc/brlapi.key'
and it is not empty.

the file isn't empty. it contains a key.

greetings,
simon

---