[BRLTTY] Error "Can't determine tty number"

Shérab Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Thu Jun 30 16:01:06 EDT 2016

Hi,

a c (2016/06/29 11:12 +0000):
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing some C++ code on ubuntu, trying to connect to a Papenmeier
> Braillex EL 40s and just write some characters on it, for a start.
> However, when taking control of the tty using the default tty number
> (brlapi_enterTtyMode(BRLAPI_TTY_DEFAULT, NULL)), I get an error:
> "Can't determine tty number".

Am I correct that you ran this program from a graphical terminal?

You may try running it from a virtual console, first, and see if that
works.

By the way are you using Linux or another operating system?

> I tried to figure out what this number should be, but didn't manage;
> and also tried some more or less random numbers, and when I do this,
> it says "brlapi_enterTtyMode: Ok", but then does not write anything on
> the Braille Display, nor does it recognize any user input.

Did you try the brlapitest program that is in brltty's sources? It may
be interesting to see if that works...

Cheers,

Shérab.