[BRLTTY] compiling brltty with speech-dispatcher support

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 23:45:54 EDT 2016

hi all
I've been struggling to enable brltty as a console screen reader for the
sonar gnu linux distribution. I'm getting nowhere with the espeak driver
so I'd like to reconfigure brltty to speak through speech-dispatcher.
But for whatever reason, the package for archlinux, which manjaro and
sonar uses, isn't compiled with it enabled. According to the
documentation I could find in brltty's source, it's supposed to
automatically enable it if it detects speech-dispatcher during the build
time, but this doesn't seem to work. I remember giving someone hear a
speech-dispatcher.pc file, which is a pkgconfig file but I haven't tried
compiling brltty since then. In case brltty's autodetection fails, is
there a specific configure option I can pass during build time so I can
add it to our package build script?
Thanks
Kendell Clark