[BRLTTY] introduction

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Mar 19 13:01:10 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/03/19 at 10:54 -0500]

>When referring to logging in, I am referring to a console.

Then you may be having a problem with Pulse Audio. I myself run Pulse Audio as
a system daemon - not per user.

>I do intend to test braille from an x session, but I don't own a display, so
>will need to be sent one to test by someone, if I can find someone in the
>blind community to do so.

:-) These things are incredibly expensive so it isn't too likely that someone
will have a spare one.

>I start brltty using it's systemd service, and it's set to start on system
>bootup.

That's how I do it, too.

>As for speech-dispatcher, yes, it errors out when trying to load it at
>runtime. Same for the auto module. The config line for the speech driver is as
>follows in our brltty.conf file. speech-driver=auto,sd,es. The braille line
>is: braille-driver=auto.

Maybe this is just a typo, but I'll mention it anyway. The brltty.conf syntax
doesn't use an equals sign (=). Just separate the directive from its operand by
space.

>I'm wondering if maybe pulse audio is playing havvoc with brltty, as it does
>with speakup? I'm hoping not.

Have a look in the debug log when you're expecting eSpeak to be heard but not
hearing it.

>Can you specify the log level and the log path in the config file? If so, I'll
>temporarily enable this so I can get a debug log for someone hear to look at.

Yes, with log-file and log-level.