[BRLTTY] introduction

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Mar 19 14:06:55 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/03/19 at 12:55 -0500]

Pressing kp_Enter+kp5 didn't speak.

If you post a log of that, I'll have a look at it.

>One interesting thing I'm noticing is that when I switch to a virtual console,

I don't understand. You're always using a virtual console.

>brltty is killed. I see messages from systemd indicating that brltty exited
>with status signal.

Could you let us know what the actual systemd logs say?

Brltty shouldn't ever crash, regardless of what you do. If it is then there's a
bug that needs to be fixed.

>I'll correct the config file. I was under the mistaken impression that the ba
>driver was what was needed for use with orca, but I guess it connects to
>brltty on it's own, it doesn't need to be explicitly enabled?

For Orca to connect to brltty, you need the BrlAPI server - not the BrlAPI
braille driver. Yes, the BrlAPI server starts by default, although it can be
disabled from the command line, from brltty.conf, or via a configure option.

>I'm used to speakup's method of navigation. That is, you use the number pad to
>read by line, word and character. Is there a brltty keyboard table with
>similar bindings? If so, I'll enable this so that users of sonar who are used
>to speakup are at least somewhat familiar with it. Thanks Kendell Clark

While I've no idea if the bindings are exactly the same, brltty can already
navigate that way. Check out all the keypad keyboard table's bindings that are
KPPlus+whatever.