[BRLTTY] brltty.service fails to start on archlinux

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Mar 29 12:04:39 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Bernhard Landauer on 2016/03/29 at 17:27 +0200]

>we are trying to use brltty on the sonar mate and Gnome edition
>(based on Manjaro/Archlinux) but starting the service gives these
>errors:
>
>cannot load speech driver: /usr/lib/brltty/libbrlttysauto.so
>speech driver not loadable: auto
>/usr/lib/brltty/libbrlttysspeech-dispatcher.so: cannot open shared
>object file: No such file or directory
>cannot load speech driver: /usr/lib/brltty/libbrlttysspeech-dispatcher.so
>speech driver not loadable: speech-dispatcher

I'm guessing that your brltty.conf contains something like:

   speech-driver auto,speech-dispatcher

Two points on this. The first is that auto only works when specified by itself.
The second is that a driver should be specified by its two-letter code - not by
its full name. So:

   speech-driver sd

is probably what you want.