[BRLTTY] some strange issues with brltty 5.3.1

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat May 7 23:34:02 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/05/07 at 18:48 -0500]

>Yup, speech-driver = no fixes the problem. Of course then there's no
>speech, but this'll get fixed so I'm not worried about it. Is there
>anything else I can do to help? I'm the one who reported it it seems
>only fair that I do as much as I can to help you guys solve it.

Strictly speaking, of course, there's nothing for us to fix. I read your
earlier remark (to Rob) that you don't like squabbling and finger pointing, but
facts are facts - the problem is clearly within Pulse Audio (which we don't
maintain).

Perhaps one of the reasons that the Pulse Audio people don't believe that it's
their problem is because they believe that their decisiion that their code
should never be run as root was a good one. I believe this to have been a poor
decision. They'll claim that I'm wrong, and maybe I am. Yes, were I to attempt
to discuss this with them, others (like yourself) may well see it as
squabbling. Really, though, it isn't - it's simply two people with different
points of view who refuse to agree with one another. Of course, from your
perspective, that kind of impaasse doesn't resolve your problem.

There are at least two approaches you could work on:

First: You could try to get eSpeak to work directly with ALSA, thus totally
elimi9nating Pulse Audio from the picture.

Second: You could run Pulse Audio as a system daemon. They don't like this
either, but they at least still allow it. Doing this results in an ugly startup
warning that tries to scare you into worrying that you may be opening your
system to the possibility of a terrorist attack. If you do it this way,
therefore, then I suppose, in fairness to the PA people, you should pass their
warning along to your users via your system's documentation.

I'm sure that I posted to this list, within the last couple of months, how I
myself start PA with Systemd and run it as a system daemon (hey, terrorists,
I'm waiting). I can repost those scripts if you'd like.