[BRLTTY] issues with the espeak speech driver

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Mon May 30 03:08:59 EDT 2016

hi
Actually, I'm not sure what happened. It just started speaking. The
problem is that the espeak voice it's using isn't naturally monotonic.
It's using the default voice, which is more expressive than brltty is
making it. But that might just be a matter of supplying the right
parameters to it. Would it be possible to have brltty use the system
locale to determine the espeak voice to use? For example, if the system
were set to US english, it would use the us english voice to speak?
That's about all the customization I need, that way if a user changes
the system language brltty would automatically switch over to that
language. My main problem right now is that brltty isn't speaking the
log in screen or typed characters, or indeed anything after it speaks
it's version. I'm building a test image now and will check systemd to
see if brltty is crashing or failing somehow.
Thanks
Kendell Clark