[BRLTTY] configuring brltty as a screenreader

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue May 31 02:49:49 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/05/31 at 01:32 -0500]

>So using the default of "auto" will use the first braille display connected,
>whether it's usb, bluetooth or serial?

Not quite.

auto is just for detecting the driver. If you specify auto for the driver then
brltty will try the various protocols it knows till it finds the one that
works.

Brltty has no concept of just trying serial or Bluetooth. For serial, this is
because we feel that arbitrarily probing all of the known ports is a
fundamentally dangerous thing to be doing. For Bluetooth, it's because we can't
possibly know what the address is. So, for both serial and Bluetooth you need
to at least speicfy which specific device to use. So, for example, you could
specify something like this in brltty.conf (or via -d):

   braille-device usb:,serial:ttyS0,bluetooth:01:23:45:67:89:AB

>Sorry for my ignorance,

It's "against the law" (at least on this list) to feel that way. I myself may
finally begin to suspect that you may be ignorant if you ask the very same
question a hundred times and still don't get it even after the answer has been
given in a hundred different ways. :-) No one is ever ignorant simply because
he doesn't yet know some piece of information.

>I've never used a braille display with brltty and would like to eventually get
>one to test with.

I hope you have a rich uncle who's named you in his will! Sadly, these devices
aren't very cheap. A good thing is that, if you're actually blind, some
employers and government programs do help to pay for them. This, of course, is
very country-dependent.