[BRLTTY] Terminal Type for Braille Edge connected via BRLTTY

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 12:10:55 EDT 2016

hi
This brings up something I've been meaning to mention. I can get braille
input to work by using the braille keys on my (borrowed) braille sense
in the text console,  but braille input does not work at all in orca.
I'm guessing this is an orca issue, but want to make sure.  I'm actually
pretty sure it's an underlying at-spi2 issue, not specifically an orca
one. At-spi doesn't seem to know how to process input from anything
other than a keyboard. A plain qwerty keyboard, not a touch screen, on
screen keyboard or braille keyboard. Mike, you're on this list is this
right? If so, how hard might it be to fix this, not just for braille
keyboards but touch screens as well? I'm going off topic so I'll get
back to the point. I've been told that this does work in nvda on
windows, but I don't use windows. Does NVDA do anything differently to
allow braille input or do they just use brltty? I'd like to fix this for
the next release of sonar but not just for that. If I can get braille
input working in orca it will benefit linux in general, not just my
little distro. I did test my braille sense on a windows box and while it
does work, the arrows at either end of the display don't seem to work in
windows but do in linux, so it's probably not a brltty issue.
Thanks
Kendell Clark