[BRLTTY] Brltty works on Mac OS Sierra latest beta

Cheryl Homiak cah4110 at icloud.com
Mon Sep 5 15:20:28 EDT 2016

Just thought i would give a heads-up that I just successfully compiled and am running screen-4.2.1 and the latest git version of brltty in terminal on the latest beta of Mac OS 10.12 Sierra. Other people may also have done this but I thought I'd post since i haven't noticed anything about this onlist.

Three things to note:

1. If you use Macports for some of your dependencies you will have to compile it from source as there is no Macports installer yet. As far as I know, there is also no brew install available yet either.

2. When I first tried to compile Macports, which I did use for some dependencies though actually it is possible to get these without running Macports or Homebrew - just a little more work - I got an error about no implementation of the foundational library (not exact error; sorry I did not write it down) which would involve Xcode. I researched this error and it has happened to people before in other versions of Mac OS. I didn't see a clear solution so I deleted the Xcode that came from the app store and instead went to developer.apple.com and downloaded the beta. That works fine though you may see some strange warnings when running Macports; they may look like showstoppers but they don't actually stop anything in reality. My advice would be to try the app store Xcode version first and then delete it and use the one from the website if you have problems compiling either Macports or brltty or screen.

3. I found it necessary to use ./cfg-darwin instead of ./configure because I got an error re: iconv. I'm sure this is solvable; in fact, I think this has come up before and it's just a matter of tracking down the missing package but haven't taken time to do that yet.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart