[BRLTTY] Commercial license

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Sep 12 15:19:20 EDT 2016

Tim Heuer, on Mon 12 Sep 2016 12:07:58 -0700, wrote:
> I do plan on distributing my program, and so using GPL software then requires
> me to distribute the source to my program as well.

No it doesn't. You can run programs with various licences alongside
within the same computer without any issue, as long as they are in
separate processes, which is what will happens anyway if you don't
modify BRLTTY.

> I'm sure folks may disagree that GPL prevents this, but that's why I
> pay a lawyer to answer that for me...and they have.

I guess there was a misunderstanding in the way then. There are a
*lot* of shipped computers which run both GPL programs and proprietary
programs. Never trust lawyers if there is any possibility that they
don't understand your exact situation, because the precise details are
very important, here the notion of process which clearly separates
programs with different licenses.

Samuel