[BRLTTY] Commercial license

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Sep 12 15:58:34 EDT 2016

Tom Masterson, on Mon 12 Sep 2016 12:41:56 -0700, wrote:
> Where it gets into lawyer land (grey areas) is if you actually embed the
> brltty code in your code.  Is that considered modifying brltty?

It is considered a derived product then, and yes GPL does apply in that
case, indeed. But why would you want to embed brltty code in your code?
BrlAPI allows to drive braille devices from outside BRLTTY, precisely
for that purpose: you run an unmodified BRLTTY, run your own program
alongside in a separate process and make it use BrlAPI to connect to
it. Since BrlAPI is *LGPL, you can do that without having to disclose
the source of the program.

As Nicolas said, please explain what you want to achieve, and I'm sure
we will find a solution that doesn't make you have to release your
source code :)

Samuel