[BRLTTY] problem with brltty and polkit

Shérab Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Thu Apr 27 17:37:28 EDT 2017

Dear Kelly,

Kelly Prescott (2017/04/27 15:50 -0500):
> I am running brltty on archlinux.
> Text mode works fine, but brlapi which orca needs does not appear to work
> anymore.
> It worked in 5.4.
> When I start the daemon I get:
>
> --log--
> Apr 27 15:15:14 io.coolip.net brltty[383]: BrlAPI Server: release 0.6.6
> Apr 27 15:15:14 io.coolip.net brltty[383]: unknown
> authentication/authorization method: polkit
> Apr 27 15:15:14 io.coolip.net brltty[383]: Unable to start auth server
> --endlog--
> I have the file org.a11y.brlapi.policy in /usr/share/polkit1/actions
> When I manually build the package, I can see that polkit support appears to
> be included as the config.log says it is.

But then, is it the brltty you have just built that you are running, or
another one?

If it is the one you have just built and if, once it is run it can't
find polkit while configure seemed happy, could it be that the polkit
daemon has not been started on your system?

> Any suggestions about how to fix this would be helpful.

I know nothing about polkit unfortunately so I can't help much more with
this.

Another route you could try is using a different authentication method.
For instance, you could run brltty with arguments -A auth=none to
disable authentication completely.

Shérab.