[BRLTTY] Before i install brltty 5.5.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Aug 24 16:47:44 EDT 2017

[quoted lines by Anders Holmberg on 2017/08/24 at 21:55 +0200]

>Before i upgrade to 5.5 i have a question.
>Vinux 5.1 comes with 5.4 and this has some bugs i want to be without.
>So do i have to remove the old release before i run the ./configure script and compile brltty?

No, I strongly recommend against doing that for at least two reasons. One is
that I don't believe one should ever mess with packaged files. The otehr is
that you should keep the version that comes with the distribution so that you
always have a working version to fall back to should the one you build fail for
some reason.

What I recommend is to use --prefix= when configuring in order to specify some
other location. For example: configure --prefix=/brltty/5.5

>Last time i tried to compile 5.5 i did not get it to start.
>I guess its because i did not read the README.Startup carefully.
>Now i will do another try and see if i can get things to work.

The distribution's systemd units for brltty are probably under
/usr/lib/systemd/. You should install your modified units under /etc/systemd/.
The only thing you should need to change is the ExecStart= path. Note that you
need to run "systemctl daemon-reload" after you install your modified units as
well as after any time you make changes to them.

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | The Bible is the very Word of God.