[BRLTTY] auth server refuses to start if built without polkit

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Thu Jul 6 09:26:37 EDT 2017

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> I disagree. I think a far better approach is for the initialize method to
> return a handle of the succeeding paradigm to the caller, and for the caller to
> then pass that same handle to the release function. This would actually make
> the auth code become fully reentrant.

The only thing you lose, and I am not sure it's necessarily a loss, is
fallback methods.
Scenario: brltty is configured to use polkit+keyfile for
authentication.  In this scenario, polkit support was built, so we won't
hit the bug I reported yesterday.  The polkit method descriptor
initializes just fine.  But for whatever reason, polkit authentication
doesn't work on the user's system.  We could still fall back to keyfile.

-- Chris