[BRLTTY] Help for a Friend

wmichaelb at fuse.net wmichaelb at fuse.net
Fri Jul 28 15:00:08 EDT 2017

Hi: I have been providing some tech help for a blind friend, although I'm sighted myself.

Andre has for twenty years run a DOS system using the Powerbraille80 display. He

has now found himself running out of dial-up options, and needs to move on to something

with a standard ethernet connection to a fiber modem.

He and I and a third friend with some IT experience have been trying to get him connected,

but have had no luck with various DOS programs and NIC hardware. Right now, he has

some connectivity with a Windows 7 machine running a trial copy of Dolphin. We have

tried brltty on that Windows machine, but were unable to get it to work. I'm a long time

Linux user, and would frankly love to get him on that platform.

This leads us to three questions:

1.) Are there any brltty users in the Chicago area, or for that matter, somewhere in the US

that Andre might call by phone to chat with about their experience?

2.) Does brltty have screen reading capability, or is it primarily a braille display driver that needs other

software for the reading function?

3.) Do we need an additional driver for the Powerbraille80 display, or ??