[BRLTTY] xdg

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Mar 6 10:26:31 EST 2017

[quoted lines by Adrian van Bloois on 2017/03/06 at 16:10 +0100]

>it appears that xdg stands for X development group or something like that.

I think it's "X Desktop Group". This being said, it's intended for much more
general use than that. It even allows for user-specific configuration, which,
in my opinion, makes it the better choice for a general standard. As I see it,
they named it after themselves because that was easy to do. It's general,
though, and, to me, that ought to make it eligible to become the new
"standard". Another of its benefits is that it also defines, via environment
variables, where otehr important parts of the running environment are.

So, unless anyone can change my mind (which is always a possibility except for
the one thing I won't bend on - that the Bible is written by God and is truth),
especially since we're already using it, I see no particular reason to switch
to /etc/brltty.d, and I'm not particularly interested in supporting more than
one way.

I suppose that /etc/brltty.d could be a fallback directory.