[BRLTTY] Brltty woes on Centos 7

Keith Wessel keith at wessel.com
Tue Mar 7 12:12:14 EST 2017

Thanks, Dave. I moved the additional dependency lines from brltty.service to
brltty at .service. Results, oddly, are the same as before: console I/O error
and baud rate gets changed after the braille display connection is
established.

Same console error in the log:
2017-03-07 at 10:56:57.112 [brltty] console control error 5: fd=12 vt=1
op=0X5603: Input/output error

I was looking at the wrong sty output the other night. It appears, by the
time I get logged in, that the baud on the serial port is set to 115,200.
Sounds like something's cycling through baud rates trying to autodetect a
modem or other device as you suggested, and it's happening after brltty
already has the display initialized at 19,200.

Here's my modified brltty at .service:
[Unit]

Description=BRLTTY Instance: %I
Documentation=man:brltty(1)
Documentation=http://brltty.com/

DefaultDependencies=no
StopWhenUnneeded=true

RequiresMountsFor=/var/lib/brltty

After=local-fs.target
Before=sysinit.target
Wants=systemd-udev-settle.service
After=systemd-udev-settle.service

[Service]

Environment="BRLTTY_SYSTEMD_INSTANCE=%I"
ExecStart=/sbin/brltty-systemd-wrapper

Type=notify
Environment="BRLTTY_EXECUTABLE_ARGUMENTS=-n -q -l debug -L /brltty.log"

PIDFile=%t/brltty-%i.pid
Environment=BRLTTY_PID_FILE=%t/brltty-%i.pid

TimeoutStartSec=5
TimeoutStopSec=10

Restart=always
RestartSec=30

Nice=-10
OOMScoreAdjust=-900

ProtectHome=read-only
ProtectSystem=full

And here's brltty.service as shipped with brltty, I think:
[Unit]

Description=Default BRLTTY Instance

Requires=brltty at -etc-brltty.conf.service

[Service]

Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=true
ExecStart=/bin/true

[Install]
WantedBy=sysinit.target

Any further thoughts on system unit changes I can make to solve this?

Keith