[BRLTTY] contracted braille input on linux, what is needed?

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 13:15:00 EDT 2017

hi all
I've been in a lot of discussion with a couple of new linux users, and
they have brought up that braille input, that is, typing on the braille
keyboard of your braille display or note taker, does not work for grade
2. Computer braille does work, but only if xbrlapi is started. This, in
my opinion, and I'm not complaining whatsoever, is a little bit
complicated. I'm not sure  what xbrlapi does, but I'll pass that buy for
now. I have a couple of questions I'm not sure of the answers. First, is
there any interest in adding support for contracted braille input? This
is supposed to work with nvda on windows but I cannot confirm since I no
longer use windows, and in any case nvda uses it's own braille drivers,
and not much of brltty. Second, if xbrlapi is needed, could there be
code in brltty to detect when you are in an x or wayland session and
auto start it if brltty is running? This would drastically improve
brltty's ease of use, because as of now you are required to copy an
autostart desktop file somewhere in brltty's source tree into the proper
place in ~/.config/autostart, which is not user friendly for new users.
I've also been getting  frequent requests for an auto word wrap feature,
where if a word is too long to fit on the display it will instead appear
on the next line, without needing to press the scroll keys or a cursor
routing key to scroll the line. I'm not sure how easy this would be to
implement or even if this is the job of brltty and not screen readers
such as orca, nvda, jfw, whatever. My last question is regarding
brltty's support for policy kit. Would it be possible to set brltty to
use policy kit by default, so that displays are plug and play? This is
of course configurable, but if this were done a user could simply plug
their display in and brltty would work, whether in the console or the
gui. This is partly a brltty issue, and partly a distro packaging issue.
For all I know brltty is already set to use policy kit by default, but
the various brltty packages haven't been updated to include the proper
policy kit rule file. I don't like writing such a long email that's so
convoluted, but I've got some very unhappy users who don't like
configuring things, and when told to they say things like "my display
should just work" and "it's not fair", so I'm trying to help them. I do
agree with them that this stuff should be easier, but again I'm not sure
if this is brltty's burden or the screen readers or accessibility toolkits.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

--
Kendell Lee clark
Package maintainer, software tester, image builder