[BRLTTY] braille star 40

Cheryl Homiak cah4110 at icloud.com
Thu Mar 30 10:32:03 EDT 2017

"refuses" is a pretty strong depiction. I wanted to try to solve the problem first if I could without doing logs but I have done logs in the past, as Dave can testify, and I am not at all adverse to doing them. I am rather busy right now and am preparing for a  three-week visit from a friend. One can argue that it might have been solved more quickly with a log and this may or may not be true but the correct depiction of this in my opinion is that I at this time "declined" to do logs rather than that I "refused". Language matters! I may at some point submit a log to see if there is a better solution but I am not going to do so right this minute!

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:01 AM, Mario Lang <mlang at delysid.org> wrote:

Felix Grützmacher - Handy Tech Elektronik GmbH
<felix.gruetzmacher at handytech.de> writes:

> this might just be me stating the really obvious and making a fool of
> myself, but since the FTDI chip emulates a serial connection through USB and
> the FTDI driver takes care of that, wouldn't it make sense for the device to
> appear as serial rather than USB?

From the point of view of BRLTTY, an operating system provided serial
port is a nice fallback, but not the default.  BRLTTY actually natively
talks to the various USB chips without needing the OS to provide a
serial port.  However, that said, I am suspecting there might be
problems with this on Mac.  Anyway, as long as Cheryl refuses to look at
the logs, there is no way to know exactly.

> At least on Windows when I connect this kind of device I get a COM
> port, and my Braille driver doesn't see this as USB at all.

Yes, this is how it also was on Linux many years ago.  However, we
didn't want to rely on the kernel supporting a particular chip.

--
CYa,
 ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Blog: <https://blind.guru/>  GitHub: <https://github.com/mlang/>