[BRLTTY] Bluez-libs Deprecated

Nathan Royce nroycea+brltty at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 04:32:54 EST 2017

Ya, now I don't know what to think. I was on the nm IRC channel
talking with lubko about it and they didn't hear of it either and was
surprised because they weren't even told about it when they met in
person two weeks ago.

But here is some of the info I found:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/bluetooth#Shell_command_is_missing_from_bluez-utils
Though that only mentions the "utils", not the library.
You'll see that DBUS is going to be the go-to method of interfacing
with bluetooth.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/bluez.html
The "--enable-library" configure flag says "This switch enables
building the BlueZ 4 compatibility library" which coincides with:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/bluez-libs/
"Deprecated libraries for the bluetooth protocol stack"

One would think something that important would be posted on their site
or at least in their mailing lists. linuxfromscratch and archlinux
seem to be the go-to places for up-to-date information like this.