[BRLTTY] BRLTTY and Unified English Braille

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Sat Nov 11 21:14:52 EST 2017

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 07:35:37AM -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by S. Massy on 2017/11/07 at 19:14 -0500]
>
> >Does BRLTTY have any support for 6 dot UEB or is there any plan to add
> >it at some point? My son is just getting comfortable with braille and
> >uses UEB with NVDA/JAWS under windows. I would like to set up a simple
> >Linux environment for him to practice typing and reading without all the
> >distractions and pitfalls Windows offers but I can't seem to figure out
> >how to get any UEB input or output.
>
> There's a contraction table named en-ueb-g2, so UEB output is definitiely
I definitely see how it could be accomplished as a translation table,
but could it be done as a braille table? Can symbols be expanded to two
braille cells/symbols from within a braille table?

> possible. Not input, though, because brltty doesn't support
> back-translating
> what the user is typing.
Do you think there would be any interest in such a feature? I personally
don't use a braille keyboard or UEB, but seeing my son go through the
braille learning phase has made me realise their importance in education.

Cheers,
S.M.
--
Sebastien Massy