[BRLTTY] brailliant info needed

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Nov 14 07:54:12 EST 2017

[quoted lines by Brian Tew on 2017/11/14 at 05:34 -0600]

>How do I upgrade to 5.5, and will that interfere with ubuntu's normal upgrading process or cause me other grief?

You have two choices:

One choice is to convince your system to install a newer release of brltty from
a newer release of Ubuntu (or, I assume, a later release of Debian than your
current release of Ubuntu is based on). Since I myself don't use Ubuntu or
Debian, someone who's familiar with them will have to advise on how to do that.

The other choice is to build brltty for youself. To avoid conflicts with your
current brltty package, the best way to do this is to protect yourself in a
couple of ways. The first is to install brltty into a directory that you know
is your own (e.g. /usr/local/brltty-5.5). The other is to make this directory
be owned by yourself (or some special account for building brltty). The idea is
to be able to build brltty without becoming root first, so that there's no way
that you can damage Ubuntu's brltty installation. You'd then configure brltty
with --prefix= that directory.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |