[BRLTTY] BrlAPI in Windows

Lars Bjørndal lars at lamasti.net
Fri Oct 27 15:54:02 EDT 2017

Hi, Samuel!

You wrote:

> Lars Bjørndal, on lun. 23 oct. 2017 21:13:14 +0200, wrote:
> > I have cygwin 64bit installed, and I've compiled BRLTTY.
>
> Is there are reason for not using the pre-built BRLTTY?

Well, I thought, as I use BRLTTY in the Cygwin environment to use SSH,
I thought a compiled version in that environment was the most memory
efficient. That may be totally wrong.

> > When connecting the display through bluetooth, I can use the console
> > by specifying com5 as braille device to BRLTTY. However, when trying
> > to get NVDA to use the BRLTTY driver, it says it couldn't connect.
>
> Doesn't it tell a bit more than this?  The exact technical details of
> error messages are always terribly important to get any clue of what
> steps might be going wrong.
>
> > Does anyone ave a solutin to that?
>
> I can only try to divine.
>
> I guess you checked that brltty is running properly?

Yes, BRLTTY ran fine.

> Normally when built with cygwin it will open both a local socket and a
> tcp/ip socket, and the latter should be alright for NVDA to connect to.
> If you know how to, you could try to connect to TCP port 4101 of
> IP 127.0.0.1 and check whether you get a connection refused.
>
> Normally, on win32 the default is no authentication, but perhaps you
> have something configured in brltty.conf or such, and you could try to
> append
>
> api-parameters Auth=none
>
> to the end of the installed brltty.conf, or start brltty with
> -A auth=none , to make sure that it doesn't try to make the client
> authenticate itself.

Yes, I tried that, but it didn't help. Also I'd like to mention that
I'm using Windows 10, 64 bit. Cytwin is 64 bit as well.

> But again, getting the exact error message would help a *lot* to know
> which kind of the above guess would be closest to the actual issue.

Actually I solved my situation by installing the Handy Tech universal
braille display driver in Windows, and set it to choose port
automatically. Then NVDA started properly without BRLTTY.

Thanks, Lars