[BRLTTY] 5.6

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Apr 5 09:19:32 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Brian Tew on 2018/04/05 at 05:12 -0500]

>I made the changes in /etc/default/brltty that John mentioned.

There was no need as brltty (albeit, the installed one) was running.

>I apt-got purged 5.3.1

Well, I tried to advise to not do that.

>and recompiled 5.6 as root.

It's a bad practice to build as root. While we ourselves try very hard to
ensure that our own make files can be trusted, the reason it's a bad idea is
because you never really know what a make file will or won't do. If it's a bad
make file then you could very easily ruin your system.

>All went well, but when root tried to edit /lib/systemd/system/brltty.service
>it says no such file.

Sure, because you unintalled it. My suggestion was to sinmply just edit it.

>locate brltty.service gives ten files, but root cannot
>see any of thm. so I cannot change the execstart line.

That doesn't matter since you removed it. I was trying to suggest an approach
that'd keep things simple.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |